Non-root services?

I'm having some trouble with getting certain services thar don't run as root,
using pam.

Namely postgresql runs as user postgres, but I was expirimenting with various
versions of pam_unix and had no luck getting it to auth, until I messed with
permissions of /etc/shadow.

Now, I'm sure this is a really old and obvious problem. (and if the truth be
known I can probably work without it)

But, is there a way around it?

James West
westj@sunnydaleschool.co.uk