LDAP Client Configs

I am attempting to set up LDAP authentication on a LINUX box, the LDAP
server is already set up and being used for Windows logins. I have gotten the LINUX (RH 7.3) config so that it does connect to the LDAP server, however, I still have a couple of issues.

1) It seems that I must have a local account on the LINUX box that matches the LDAP account name. Is this normal?

2) When I do connect, it does authenticate to LDAP, however if I change my password at the command prompt, it changes it in the OS not in LDAP (except for the very first login). At that point I can login using either my LDAP or system password. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Ben