pam_tally resetting

Hello,

I'm trying to configure pam_tally on a RH 7.3 system.  In my /etc/pam.d/login
file, I'm adding the module for both auth and account components.  I'm using
deny=5 reset for the parameters.

The problem I seem to be  having is that the count is resetting back to 0 even
without a successful login.  If I log in as root on console 2, and keep
guessing wrong passwords on console 1, I can watch /var/log/messages display
the "failed login for username..." message.  The count increases with each
successive failed login, but if i wait for a short period of time, it's back
to 0.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Kevin