Re: An "orthogonal" way of using libpam

Igmar Palsenberg <maillist@jdimedia.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>> Now I understand, what you want. But I think, it isn't a task of pam.
>> Every application should provide a possibility to set the string passed
>> to pam as service_name by pam_start().
>
> That isn't the problem, the problem is that PAM always want's it config in
> /etc/pam.d/x
>
> and the user has no way of changing that location, which in some cases can
> be handy if the user's application wants to do it's own authentication.

I don't know, if this is a good thing or if you open with this some
security holes. Better is IMHO, if the admin can include a file into a
file in /etc/pam.d/x, somthing like "$HOME/.pam/x".

Is this possible with a new module, may be?

And what is such a application, that want do authentication by its own
way? And what it will do different to /etc/pam.d/x?

Joerg.