PAM and proftp

I currently working on PAM used for proftp.
I want all the authentication is carried out in my PAM, including checking
the user, checking the password. But it seem that proftp don't pass the
authentication process to PAM module if the username entered does not exist
on the proftp server.

Is there any way(modify configure file for example) to by pass the proftp
authentication, to make PAM is the only one do the authentication without
touching any proftp codes.

Thanks,
 Luyen Tran