Re: NIS and Slow Login

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 08:58:22AM -0600, Rivera, Angel R wrote:
> Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!! I spoke too soon. Still having the same problem but it
> is a NIS issue.
> When I disabled NIS I could log in w/o that 12 second hesitation.  NIS
> is being served by
> 3 boxes, the main on is a 8 PROC 8 GB 4500 w/ Solaris 8 10/01.  Any
> Ideas?

I came in late so bear with me. If you are talking about logging in without X the
login with NIS should be instantaneous. With X a 12 second hesitation is not bad.
Could it be a server contention issue. Are you specifying the NIS server explicitly
on each machine or doing broadcast NIS.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University