Initiliazing pam

Ok, this question is probably stupid but hey, I can't figure it out on
my own so here we go.

How do I get my system to use the pam definitions?

I'm running a slackware 8 box (slightly modified with upgraded glibc and
other minor changes) and I'm trying to get the pam_smb module to work to
be able to authenticate against our NT domain controllers. I've
installed Linux-PAM manually, as it isn't integrated in slack, and
installed the pam_smb module along with a /etc/pam_smb.conf. I'm using a
/etc/pam.d/login file which looks like this (as suggested by the pam_smb
installation guide)

auth required /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password required /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok use_authtok
session required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

According to the pam_smb install guide that should be enough for it to
work. Now the rather confusing thing is.. how do I configure the system
to read the pam config files? I've looked at a machine with linux-pam
included in the distribution but I can't locate where it initializes the
pam modules. What have I missed?

with humble regards,

--
Magnus Pahlsson