PAM client-server example

I am trying to understand the PAM client-server model as described in the document written by A.G. Morgan. It would be very helpful if I can see some example code following this model. I looked at the
PAM distribution, but could not find one. I would appreciate any pointer to any such code. I am looking for something like ftp client, ftpd that follows the programming API (libpam, libpamc)described in the above mentioned document. Is there any other way to PAMify client-server applications? For example, how did SUN PAMify their PAM-aware ftp?

Thanks in advance,

-Arup Biswas