Newbie: cannot log into box

I am working on getting user authentication with ldap going.  I had it working ok, but I could not add a user that could login.  Only the users that existed before I got ldap authentication going were able to login.

Therefore I have been trying to learn what part of the authentication stack was failing.

I have access to machine because I have several tty's loged into root.

In an attempt to diagnose which PAM module is having trouble I have tried to change my /etc/pam.d/login to read:

[root@Webby pam.d]# cat login
#%PAM-1.0
auth required /lib/security/pam_permit.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_warn.so
#auth       required    /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
#auth       required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
#auth       required    /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
#account    required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
#password   required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
#session    required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
#session    optional    /lib/security/pam_console.so

my limited understanding from the redhat reference guide is that this should allow me to log in regardless of what the user name is?  Is this correct?

When I try to login from the console on tty2, I get a very fast flash of:

user account has expired

I have checked via the graphical redhat-user-configuration program and expiration of my accounts is not enabled.

Thanks
Alan