Re: OpenSSH gives a pam NULL in the secure logs

The Illegal user comes from openssh not finding the user in the local
file database (/etc/passwd).

To see what is going on with openssh, you should stop sshd and run it on
the command line as root with 'sshd -ddd' and then try to connect that
way. You will be able to see what sshd is trying to do on the server
side.

Don't worry about the first try by sshd to authenticate, it is always
none and will fail (it should from what I remember).

l8r,