Basic PAM help

Is there any good starting point for PAM. I am wanting to use PAM so I
can have most of my programs authenticating against a MySQL database
which I understand is possible (assuming the program supports PAM, which
the ones I care about do) by using the MySQL module for PAM. However, so
far I have been at a loss to find a clear and concise site that explains
how PAM works. TIA

Thanks
Jefferson Cowart
Jeff@cowart.net

Support Open Instant Messaging Protocols
http://www.petitiononline.com/openIM/petition.html