password length probleme

Hi,
I've got the following line in my /etc/pam.d/login
password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

I also have PASS_MAX_LEN 8 in /etc/login.defs

Does someone know why when I use a password with 14 chars it takes in
consideration the 14 chars and not just the first 8 chars ??

Let say I use the passowd 12345678910111 when I login, if I just use
the 12345678 password it doesn't works, but it should as I've decided
just use 8 chars ...

It must be relevant to md5 algo but why ??

I remember having using DES and the algo was taking in consideration only 8 chars
even if you thought that you set a password of 10 chars.

Thanks a lot.

Jeremy.

PS:I've defined my password after having put max=8