Newbie question regarding passwd info..

Hi all,

I've been researching the use of PAM, and in all documentation I've found on this list and thru Google, I haven't had an answer to this one question: When a user authenticates via /etc/passwd, various information about their group, shell, home directory is also accessed. Does PAM pass this info? If so, how? If not, how would the application (ie. ssh) get the home directory info (for example)?

Thanks,

-- Steve.