Re: (no subject)

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:35:20PM -0000, Rohan  Bairat wrote:
> Hi Friends,
> I am new to these technologies and i want to study about PAM in
> detail .....

> I want to allow remote users to connect to my machine for FTP
> CVS--using SSH and mail...

> Can any one please suggest me good document to read ....which has
> information about PAM stuff and how to configure it for above
> mentioned services....

> Is kerberos a better authentication technique??????

Kerberos and PAM address two different aspects of system security.
PAM's goal is to provide a flexible system, with Kerberos as just one of
the available authentication backends; Kerberos seeks security an single
sign-on capabilities with a unified system.  PAM excels at providing
support for local applications that need to authenticate users, whereas
I prefer Kerberos for client-server applications.  Since it sounds like
you're concerned mostly with network services, I recommend Kerberos as a
better fit for your applications.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer