debugging postgres/pam

I have postgresql (7.3.2) set to use pam.  When I use the pam_permit module:
    auth    required    pam_permit.so
    auth    required    pam_warn.so
    account    required    pam_permit.so
it authenticates as expected.

When I use pam_unix:
    auth    required    pam_unix.so
    account    required    pam_unix.so

After getting prompted for a password I get "PAM authentication failure for
user".  I am using my own login and credentials.  I get a single line in
/var/log/messages:

Dec 27 11:55:03 beastie postgresql(pam_unix)[10496]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=26 euid=26 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=pms

uid=26 is for the postgresql user, user=pms is the account for which I am
entering the password.

I tried adding debug/audit at the end of the pam_unix.so line but the
message appearing in /var/log/messages remained the same.

I found lots of hits on google relating to postgresql with PAM but so far I
haven't found one with a solution to this.

Any clues?