PAM Console Access with CDE

Hi all,

We are running RedHat 8.0 on desktop machines with Xi Graphics' CDE
(Common Desktop Environment) v3.0.  Unfortunately, dtlogin, which is the
login mechanism of CDE, does not support PAM.  Thus, when a user logs in
on the console, permissions on the video, sound, etc. devices are not set
properly - the user cannot use the video camera or play sound files.  (The
permissions _are_ set correctly when the user logs in under Gnome or from
a text login.)

My question: is there a way to "trick" PAM into thinking that a console
login occurs when a CDE login does?

I have requested that Xi Graphics to add PAM support, but this may take
some time.

Thank you,
Scott Talbert