Re: can't authenticate in apache using PAM

On 8 Sep 2003, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Is it possible to set up mod_auth_pam in combination with pam_smb so
> that web users don't need local accounts at all?

Yes it is.

I've done similar things however it was in a larger samba context so I
used winbind and nss which works very well although it does result in
local accounts of a sort - calls to the nss libraries (getpw*) will see
the users as local even though they are Windows users in a Domain.

> I have one machine
> where everyone does have an account and authentication works using
> the password from the NT domain controller.   I'd like to make
> web authentication work on other machines without having to maintain
> the unix account info or allow logins for most of the users but
> apache seems to require the account entry.

Apache only requires an account because you have configured it to. I don't
have the source to hand but I seem to remember that mod_auth_pam is very
minimal in it's actual requirements of PAM.

If you set account to use the pam_permit module it will be happy.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now