Re: Which pam config file are used by programs that translate uid'sto usernames?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Marco Teeuwen wrote:

|> Hello people,
|>
|> I'm trying to find out which pam configuration files is used by programs
|> such as 'ls', which translate uid's/group id's to user/group names.

PAM is only responsible for authentication.
For operations such as ls and finger, the data sources specified in the
/etc/nsswitch.conf files are consulted.  Typically, the nsswitch data
sources are the flat files such as /etc/passwd and /etc/group
What you need to do is find an NSS module which performs username/group
lookups against an LDAP server.

Here's a good place to start:
 http://www.padl.com/OSS/nss_ldap.html

Michael

--
/* BEGIN SIG
*
* "Afraid of change, afraid of staying the same,
*  when temptation calls, we just look away."
*  - Barenaked Ladies
*
* "He started writing in mirror writing, 'Help! I'm
*  trapped behind the world.'"
*  - New York State Journal of Medicine
*
* Michael Chang