xscreensaver problem

I am new to Linux, so please bare with me.  I had recently set up a network with Redhat 8.0.  For some reason once xscreensaver is activated and the screen is locked, it does not accept any passwords.  I had run the diagnostics utility and it tried it to see what would happen and it looks like there was a problem within PAM that did not allow the xscreensaver to authenticate properly.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Brian