Help using skey with ssh

Michael Chang miranda at uranus.com
Fri Aug 13 20:10:15 UTC 2004

|> I'm trying to use challengeresponse/skey to login to my server via ssh.
|> In my sshd_config file I have:
|>
|> PasswordAuthentication no
|> #ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes - I assume this is the default since
|> "#" ...
|> UsePAM yes
|>
|> and my /etc/pam.d/sshd looks like standard:
|> #%PAM-1.0
|>
|> auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
|> auth       required     pam_shells.so
|> auth       required     pam_nologin.so
|> account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
|> password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
|> session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
|>
|> My question is how do I get sshd to stop offering me unix password as an
|> authentication option.

You might want to first look into client options.  Specifically, in your
client's ssh_config file (or whatever config file your client is reading),
use the 'PreferredAuthentications' directive to specify the order in
which various authentication methods are attempted by the client.

Hope that helps,
Michael