No Conv Element in PAMH?

Alainna C. Wonders awonders at aharinc.com
Tue Dec 28 22:13:46 UTC 2004

Good evening,

I was modifying PAM on an server running RH6.2 libs with RH9.0 kernel, and I
rebooted the system.  When it came back up I was unable to log into the
console.  I can, however, get an SSH session.  When I did this, I managed to
catch the lines:

[dlerror]: /lib/security/pam_stack.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stack.so
"no conv element in pamh" in /var/log/messages.

The version of pam is 0.72-x.

It said it couldn't find pam_stack.so in /lib/security, so I went ahead and
SCP'ed it over from another box with the same OS/PAM combo that works (I
still haven't a clue how it disappeared in the first place; I was editing
files in /etc/pam.d).  It no longer gives the error that it can't find/open
the file, but I still get the error about 'no conv element'.

I only saw one hit (in English) for this in Google groups, but there was no
reply as to how to repair this.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks!

- Alainna