Pam configuration files

Boris Breslav boris at bsafesolutions.com
Wed Feb 25 17:59:27 UTC 2004

Hi all,
can someone please shed some lite on this one.
According to the Pam Administration Guide:

service-name

The name of the service associated with this entry. Frequently the service
name is the conventional name of the given application. For example, `ftpd',
`rlogind' and `su', etc. .

Then:

More flexible than the single configuration file, as of version 0.56, it is
possible to configure libpam via the contents of the /etc/pam.d/ directory.
In this case the directory is filled with files each of which has a filename
equal to a service-name (in lower-case): it is the personal configuration
file for the named service.

Now, in my distributaion the FTP configuration file is /etc/pam.d/ftp and
not ftpd as mentioned above.

So the question is how does PAM know which file to use? I'm also thinking
about writing my own PAM-enabled application. How do I make sure that the
right configuration file will be picked up?

Thanks in advance

Boris