PAM Limits (ulimit -n) causing problems on RedHat 8 Oracle 9

Nathan Lloyd joker1975 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 18:46:43 UTC 2004

I am having trouble with the default number of open files allowed by PAM.

I am running an oracle server on RedHat 8, and when I try to let my
export script run from CRON, it tells me that it's getting the linux
error "too many open files"

ulimit -n shows 1024 if I run it from the SSH session I log in from or
if I run it from the cron job which is doing the export script.

I have edited /etc/limits.conf to give all users nofile of 8k soft and
20k hard limits, which work for login sessions from the console or if
I "su -" to any user, but for SSH sessions and for CRON jobs it seems
that 1024 is still the limit. Even with the modified /etc/limits.conf
the command ulimit -S -n 8000 gives me an error "operation not
permitted" (using the BASH shell)

I have already modified the system wide limit of open files to 32k..

My question is How can I disable these pam limits, as Oracle is the
only thing running, the limits are mostly useless.
I will also accept any answer which tells me how to raise the limits
for cron jobs, but ulimit -n 8000 hasn't worked yet.

-Thanks
=Nathan Lloyd

--
Searching for happiness is kinda like looking for your nose in a rosebush:
If you stop to smell the flowers, you might just realize you had it all along.