pam_adduser ?

Cal Heldenbrand calzplace at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 15:18:26 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project where a box is remotely
authenticating with PAM against a large user database,
and this box acts as a Samba PDC / winbind /
authentication server for a local department.

I've talked a bit with the Samba list, and I didn't
really get anything usefull back from them -- one of
the annoying things w/ Samba, is that it *requires* a
local /etc/passwd entry when 'security = user'.  I can
see why this would be a nice sanity check, but this
machine does not serve homes, or any other partitions,
it will not be a shell box, or anything else...
strictly domain authentication with smb encrypted
passwords.

The master database that I'm authenticating against
has around 8000+ users, plus, is dynamically changing.
 I need a way to on-the-fly add / remove /etc/passwd
entries (and not using winbind -- this is a winbind
server)

So, my main question to everyone is:  Is there some
sort of pam_adduser that works with the 'auth'
management group that will add /etc/passwd entries?

Thanks for your help!

--Cal Heldenbrand