pam_adduser ?

Cal Heldenbrand heldenca at mnstate.edu
Fri Jul 30 21:18:35 UTC 2004

> I never did see a response.  I've got one module that will
> fork()&exec()  the add user script (security hole it is), but I would
> suggest building a module from scratch.

Yeah, that is a complete possibility, and I've already written up a
quick pam_runscript.so, for testing, but it's a pretty cheap hack and I
don't really want to exec() some random script for security purposes.
(this is a production system)

> Samba only uses PAM if the password is supplied in plain-text -
> meaning most Windows installations, by default, won't use PAM.

I don't know about that one...  I've been doing so much testing back &
forth the past week, but I do remember adding a pam_mkhomedir into
/etc/pam.d/samba for 'session' and I think it worked OK.  (and I'm using
encrypted passwords)

> One question is : when using PAM, does the Samba suite call
> pam_open_session()? functions?  If so, it is possible to do an
> immediate clean up once verified in either the pam_open_session() or
> pam_close_session().

Yes, it does, but *when* it calls these functions is a bit of a
mystery.  Since I'm not actually mounting shares from this system, I
think that 'session' will not even be called.  I'm just hitting it for
domain authentications... but I'd really have to test more to double
check all of what I just said.

I guess this issue really isn't that big of a deal anymore -- I've
decided to take the easy way out and write up some scripts to take care
of /etc/passwd entries with /dev/null homes and /bin/false shells.

So...  thanks for the input, but from the work I went through for this
I'd rather just drop it and just whip up some quick scripts.  :-)

If anyone else has had, or, will have, this same problem, maybe
pam_mkhomedir could be added with a pam_sm_authenticate() with some
extra features like /etc/passwd entries, etc...   If the developer for
that module is listening.  ;-)

Thanks again!

--Cal