Problems calling pam

Dave Townsend dave at blueprintit.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 22:59:12 UTC 2004

I'm having some trouble writing a PAM application and I didn't know if
someone could offer some advice. My skills with C are pretty basic so I
could be compiling something wrong.

The situation is that I am trying to write an interface between Java and
PAM. Java can call a shared library, so basically I am trying to write a
shared library that then calls PAM to do the authentication. I have this
written, and if I write a small C program that calls my shared library
then everything works fine. As soon as I call it from Java though, the
calls fail and the following show up in the event log:

Mar  4 22:51:25 mandelbrot java: PAM unable to
dlopen(/lib/security/pam_env.so)
Mar  4 22:51:25 mandelbrot java: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_env.so:
undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
Mar  4 22:51:25 mandelbrot java: PAM adding faulty module:
/lib/security/pam_env.so
Mar  4 22:51:25 mandelbrot java: PAM unable to
dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix.so)
Mar  4 22:51:25 mandelbrot java: PAM [dlerror:
/lib/security/pam_unix.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
Mar  4 22:51:25 mandelbrot java: PAM adding faulty module:
/lib/security/pam_unix.so

For some reason PAM is having trouble loading 2 of the modules (the
stack that I am calling has 4).

I am linking my shared library with:

ld -fPIC -Bsymbolic -shared auth.o osapi.o -lpam -lc -o libosapi.so

(the .o files were all compiled with -Wall -fPIC)

Can anyone suggest what is going on here? I would be grateful for any
help.

Dave

--

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates '81