Redhat Enterprise 3.0 (WS) have problems with PAM authentication

Nier Yavin nyavin at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 17:39:03 UTC 2004

In the past I installed many types of lixunes,
but here I met with a very strange problem.
PAM authentication keeps on failing for all services.

ssh, rlogin, login, gdm

And I am talking about a machine that has nothing other then what
is included in the linux installation.

both NIS and local users fail, and always with
<service name>(pam_unix)[pid]: authentication failure;....
PAM authentication failed for <service name>

where <service name> can be sshd, in.rlogind etc.

Besides this
NIS works fine for user authentication as well as for automounting the home
directories.

So it is strange