Problem with user root

IEM - Network Operation Center noc at iem.at
Fri May 21 09:13:52 UTC 2004

Tay, Gary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just guessing, u may want to add "rootok" somewhere...
>
> See /usr/share/doc/pam-0.75/txts/README.pam_rootok, and all text files
> in the txts dir.

i have very similar problems like the author of this thread;

pam_rootok will not at all do what i want

the problem is:
when the LDAP-server goes down no-one can login at the machine any more.
this is fine for LDAP-users (users that only exist in ldap) but quite
annoying for local users such as root.
i can do absolutely nothing with the machine as long as the LDAP-server
is down (apart from plugging off the power, and reboot it into runlevel-1)

pam_rootok let's me bypass authentication when i am already root.
but how do i become root, when my secondary(!) authentication scheme is
down ???

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes