How to compile...

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu
Tue May 25 16:41:06 UTC 2004

Well I got it to compile successfully by issuing this from the command line:

gcc -fPIC -c pam_test.o
ld -x --shared -o pam_test.so pam_test.o

Thanks for all the help...

Ed Schmollinger wrote:

>On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 07:32:38AM -0600, Jason Gerfen wrote:
>

>>Hello, I am fairly new to this list and have been attempting to learn
>>how to write PAM modules however the documentation on how to use the PAM
>>api is bit vague on how to compile the existing C.
>>
>>I am using SuSE 9.0 and using Emacs to edit my first pam module.  The
>>string I am using to compile is as so...
>>
>>gcc -o pam_test.so -libpam pam_test.c pam_test.h
>>

>Here's the Makefile I use:
>
>-- CUT HERE --
>CC=gcc
>CFLAGS=-fPIC -O2 -Wall -Werror -pedantic
>CPPFLAGS=-I.
>LDFLAGS=-x --shared -lpam
>
>OUT=pam_test.so
>
>all:    $(OUT)
>
>%.so: %.o
>	ld $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $<
>
>clean:
>	rm -f *.o $(OUT)
>
>install:
>	install -s -o0 -g0 -m755 $(OUT) /lib/security
>-- CUT HERE --
>
>This would cause two commands to be executed:
>gcc -fPIC -O2 -Wall -Werror -pedantic -I.  -c -o pam_test.o pam_test.c
>ld -x --shared -lpam -o pam_test.so pam_test.o
>
>Presumably, you have an appropriate #include in pam_test.c for
>pam_test.h...

Jason Gerfen
Student Computing Group
Marriott Library
University of Utah
(801) 585-9810
jason.Gerfen at scl.utah.edu

"...Sometimes I just yell at myself. And it
 makes me sad, sometimes I make myself cry..."
			~ My nephew Dawsyn