PAM/Kerberos requiring local accounts

Nils O. Selåsdal noselasd at frisurf.no
Mon May 3 08:06:27 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 11:57, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Folks--
>
> I'm trying to use PAM authentication (with Kerberos) and am running
> into troubles.
>
> I'm setting up eGroupWare (PHP, using pam_auth as shown below) to use
> PAM authentication.  I've set up the necessary httpd/php files in
> /etc/pam.d with the following:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth        required    /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
> account     required    /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
>
> (output of my /etc/krb5.conf file at the bottom)
>
> However, when the user attempts to log in with eGW, they will only
> authenticate correctly if an account of the same name exists on the
> local machine that eGW is on.  Even though the password that is
> required for them to log in is the correct one (i.e. if the password
> on the local machine and the Kerberos server are different, the
> Kerberos one is the one that is accepted, which is correct behavior),
> I can't get them to log in unless there is an account on the local
> machine.  I've tried this several times now -- a person cannot log in,
> so I do an adduser using the same username but a different password,
> and suddenly they can log in just fine (with the password the Kerberos
> server is expecting).  This seems like a PAM issue, not eGW, so I'm
> posting it here in the hopes that someone will know why this is the
> case.  We're going to be having over 1500 users authenticating against
> this installation of eGW (if all goes well) so obviously creating
> local accounts for all of them is not a great idea.
This is expected. kerberos is used only for authentication. Your linux
box also needs a place to look for login information
(uid,gid,homedirectory etc.) Many use ldap to distribute such
information.
If you don't want/need machine accounts, drop the line that says
account     required    /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
(or change 'required' to 'optional')

--
Nils O. Selåsdal <noselasd at frisurf.no>