PAM/Kerberos requiring local accounts

Jeff Mitchell jam6 at cec.wustl.edu
Wed May 5 08:53:06 UTC 2004

Van--

Thanks for your reply!

We have a different server (a Solaris one) that runs Kerberos and uses
NIS/ypserv for account information...it's possible that we could do that on
this box as well so I may be getting back to you for help on such a setup
(though not anytime especially soon)...thank you for the offer.

I guess though that I'm not really understsanding why it's necessary.  For
the setup that I need this for, I'm completely uninterested as to their
account details, UIDs, GIDs, etc.  I want to know only one thing:  according
to the Kerberos servers, is this a correct username and password
combination?  The user isn't doing anything local to the box, so they don't
even need a UID...and indeed, the function that calls the PAM authentication
with the module I'm using (called pam_auth() ) only returns one thing:  true
or false.

Kerberos, I keep getting told, is for authentication only...which is exactly
why I want it.  How weird then that I can't simply specify in my pam.d that
I *want* authentication and authentication only...

Jeff