Idle time forced logout

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Fri May 7 15:44:24 UTC 2004

Hello Christopher,

Looking at a "normal user", in other words not a power user / commandline
jockey, no mouse movement for, say, 10 minutes would be a good indication
that the account can be inactive. However, your idea of doing a block read on
both /dev/input and /dev/mice sounds like a valid route for exploration. I'll
look at the pam_tally or similar code and see if there is a way to hack
something together that can be time-based. I just hoped that there might be
something out there that could already be used for something like this.

Thanks for the idea!

On Friday 07 May 2004 17:03, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 04:44:13PM +0200, Jan Henkins wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Is there a module where one can force a user to log out after a certain
> > amount of idle time? I tried a number of "traditional" methods (idled and
> > a few other methods), but none works properly in an environment where
> > display managers like GDM/XDM is used as the login method.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> In X what do you consider idle?  No mouse movement?  One idea is to do a
> blocking read on /dev/input or /dev/mice and if nothing happens after N
> minutes then send SIGHUP to the X process.  This would only work if the X
> was local and not remote.
>
> Just and idea...
>
> > --
> > Regards,