GDM and PAM on Fedora Core 1?

David Gillies daveg at dorja.com
Sat May 22 05:37:00 UTC 2004

I just built a fresh Fedora Core 1 box the other day and I was having
exactly the same issue with it. After googling around for a few hours, I
found quite a few people asking for help on this one, but nobody seems
to have provided an answer.

One thing that alot of people seemed to get as well in /var/log/messages was

/        gdm-binary: Couldn't set acct. mgmt for $USERNAME/

Anyway, I started getting desperate to try anything, so I put the full
path to the pam modules in /etc/pam.d/gdm

eg.

auth     sufficient     pam_ldap.so

becomes

auth    sufficient     /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

And that fixed it. I've tested this on two workstations now with
multiple user accounts and it seems to be all working.