web authentication against /etc/samba/smbpasswd ?

Greetings,

I have read through the PAM documentation but am still a bit vague as to the feasibility of what I wish to do:

Can I authenticate web users against the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file?

If anyone has succeeded in this, I would be grateful for pointers to any documentation on how it is done.

Andrew Koebrick
Web Coordinator / Librarian

Dept. of Administration
State of