Re: pam_get_item() problems

Could you show me an example of a proper conversion function?

Jason DiCioccio wrote:

Greetings!

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:43:47 -0700, Jason Gerfen
<jason gerfen scl utah edu> wrote:

I am looking for assistance using the pam_get_item() function.
According to the pam module writters guide on kernel.org I should use
pam_get_item() as the following:

extern int pam_get_item( const pam_handle_t *pamh,
                                             int item_type,
                                             const void **item );

As you can see in the code below it should retrieve the password entered
during login and store it in the const void **password variable. But
what happens is it completely crashes the display manager. I don't get
it, I have looked at other people's source (pam_krb5afs.c for example)
and they are calling the pam_get_item() function in much the same way
and yet it isn't crashing their display. Am I missing something or over
looking a compile option perhaps? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You need to use a conversation function first. Take a look at some of the code you were looking at before and look for where they call theri conversation functions. You need to initiate a 'conversation' with the calling program in order to receive the auth token. You then use pam_set_item to set PAM_AUTHTOK.

I hope this made sense.  I ran into this same issue before and it was
driving me nuts :)

Regards,
-JD-

Jason Gerfen