recent update to pam causing non-root ssh logins to fail?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 25 12:37:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Tomas Mraz wrote:

> > yes.  i added some content to support oracle 10g.  here are the
> > *total* non-commented contents of the limits.conf file:
> >
> > *               soft    nproc   2047
> > *               hard    nproc   16384
> > *               soft    nofile  1024
> > *               hard    nofile  65536
> >
> > it doesn't *look* like any of those should cause a problem.  more
> > thoughts?
>
> Yes they are a problem. Either you must disable SSH privilege
> separation, or you must preset ulimits to these values
> in /etc/init.d/sshd startup script.
> Or you can upgrade to openssh package from FC3.

ah, my apologies.  i didn't see any connection between these things,
and it had been *several* days between when i made these changes and
when i next tried to ssh into the system that i never made that
connection.

since i'll be upgrading to FC3 shortly, i'll just let the upgrade take
care of it.  thanks.

rday