Problem in pam_mkhomedir

Pierangelo Masarati ando at sys-net.it
Sun Nov 28 17:26:47 UTC 2004

Dear PAM list,

I recently had a problem in compiling pam_mkhomedir.c (actually, in
compiling the whole package) on Solaris 2.8; I managed to work it out,
and I think I've spotted a bug in pam_mkhomedir.c #ifndef PATH_MAX,
which affects 0.78 and HEAD.

See the patch at
http://www.sys-net.it/~ando/Download/Linux-PAM-sysnet.1.2004-11-28.patch
(for CVS HEAD as of half an hour ago).  A better solution is to
(optionally?) #include <limits.h>; the rest of the patch is simply to
avoid leaving broken code around.

A partially related issue is that Solaris 2.8 apparently does not
support asprintf(), which is used only in libpam/pam_handlers.c, and can
be easily worked around by a malloc() and a snprintf().  I can provide a
patch for that as well.

Sincerely, p.