pam_group configuration question

Richard Greaney richard at net-solutions.net.nz
Mon Oct 11 23:41:58 UTC 2004

I am having some problems getting pam_group to work. I have used the
/etc/pam.d/su config file as a starting point, and modified it to remove
the root check and self checks.

The resulting /etc/pam.d/squid looks something like this:

auth    required    pam_unix.so    no_warn
auth    requisite    pam_group.so    no_warn group=Internet
account    required    pam_unix.so    no_warn

The squid pam_auth file accepts two values, username and password,
separated by a single space. It returns OK on success and ERR on
failure. If I remove the second line from the conf file, everything
works fine as long as I get the correct username/password (as expected).
Once I uncomment out the pam_group.so line, it works for nobody. Not
even those who are a member of the 'Internet' group.

I have had a read through the Linux-PAM System Administrators' Guide and
have still not managed to work out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Richard