Problems with config= in module config

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.pam at lixfeld.ca
Mon Sep 6 05:29:52 UTC 2004

I dug this up from a how-to.  They suggested that I could use a config=
line in my pam module config to specify a special config file to use in
order to determine if a user is allowed to authenticate via that
module.

For instance, the /etc/pam.d/ssh file looks like this:

auth            required        pam_nologin.so                  no_warn
auth            sufficient      pam_opie.so                     no_warn
no_fake_prompts
auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so               no_warn
allow_local
auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so
config=/usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap-ssh.conf debug try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_unix.so                     no_warn
try_first_pass
account         required        pam_login_access.so
account         sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      debug
account         required        pam_unix.so
session         required        pam_permit.so
password        sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      debug
password        required        pam_unix.so                     no_warn
try_first_pass

The config file referenced looks like this:

host 127.0.0.1
base dc=example,dc=com
rootbinddn cn=proxyuser,dc=example,dc=com
scope one
pam_groupdn cn=ssh,ou=services,dc=example,dc=com
pam_member_attribute member
pam_password SSHA

when I try to login, I get these errors:

Sep  6 00:07:45 eshara sshd[59637]: error: PAM: authentication error
Sep  6 00:07:45 eshara sshd[59637]: error: PAM: authentication error
Sep  6 00:07:45 eshara sshd[59637]: error: PAM: authentication error

I can't figure out how to get any more debugging out of pam, so I'm at
a little bit of a loss.

Platform is FreeBSD 5.2.1-p9.  sshd  3.6.1p1.