mod_auth_pam vs sshd login

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Sep 28 19:08:05 UTC 2004

I'm trying to get mod_auth_pam working on Fedora Core 2. I can ssh in just
fine but I can't "log in" to a protected web path. Everything looks right
and I can't see where things are going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Log entries:
Sep 28 11:45:05 segw httpd(pam_unix)[22884]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=48 euid=48 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=ken
Sep 28 11:57:36 segw sshd(pam_unix)[23052]: session opened for user ken by
(uid=501)

auth sections of each relevant file:

/etc/pam.d/httpd:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

/etc/pam.d/sshd:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     pam_nologin.so

/etc/pam.d/system-auth:

auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
audit debug
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

The .htaccess file:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Access"
#AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/private
require valid-user

If I uncomment the AuthUserFile I can connect using the credentials in it,
but not using the PAM module.