PAM denying valid user

Kevin Schroeder kschroeder at mirageworks.com
Sat Sep 4 14:25:02 UTC 2004

Hello,
    I'm having a problem with PAM denying authentication for a valid user.
I'm using the pam_mysql method to authenticate a user.  The user exists in
the database and in checking the query made I can see that the username and
password are matching at that pam_mysql is returning 7 (PAM_SUCCESS?).
However, when attempting to log in with IMAP or FTP I get an authentication
failure error on both.

    Here are the files in /etc/pam.d/

IMAP:
auth required pam_mysql.so user=user passwd=password host=localhost db=wph
table=accounts usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password  crypt=0 sqllog=0

FTP:
auth required pam_mysql.so user=user passwd=password host=localhost db=wph
table=accounts usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password  crypt=0 sqllog=0
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

    Each account has a corresponding UNIX account but by doing the
authentication via MySQL allows me to more accurately control who can log in
on what service and allows the individual user to manage their password
without shell access.

    IMAP is being handled by Cyrus/SASL/PAM.  I'd like to use PAM for all
authentication needs so I only need to learn one authentication method as
opposed to learning (or writing) the MySQL authentication for each
individual program.

    What am I missing to allow the MySQL module to fully authenticate a
user?

Thanks
Kevin