PAM Authentication from GUI

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu
Wed Sep 8 12:25:22 UTC 2004

Ethan Benson wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:04:18AM +0530, Utkal Ranjan wrote:
>

>>Friends
>>
>>I'm new to Linux/Qt. I'm developing an GUI application using Qt 3.0. I want PAM authentication from my GUI application. I've tested the sample program that comes with the documentation of PAM and it works fine; prompting me for the password and authenticating me.
>>
>>But I want to use the GUI, a Qt from having two fields User Name & Password. When the user will click on the LOGIN button, the user should be authenticated using the PAM module.
>>
>>How can I implement that ????
>>Thanx a lot for your help.....
>>

>I would suggest looking at the code for kdm and kscreensaver, both of
>which use PAM, whilst doing their promping graphically.
>
>beware though that at least kdm has a history of bad practice
>regarding pam, particularly ignoring return codes of various
>functions, thus creating security holes.

if you are using Gnome or KDE you can add your options for the pam
module you wish to use in either of those files

/etc/pam.d/xdm or gdm files

auth             optional | sufficient | required
/path/to/pam_module.so     [other options: debug | authtok]
password     optional | sufficient | required     /path/to/pam_module.so
    [other options: debug | authtok]
session        optional | sufficient | required
/path/to/pam_module.so     [other options: debug | authtok]

Hope this helps some.

--
Jason Gerfen
jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu

"Perfect love is rare indeed - for to be a
 lover will require that you continually
 have the subtlety of the very wise, the
 flexibility of the child, the sensitivity
 of the artist, the understanding of the
 philosopher, the acceptance of the saint,
 the tolerance of the scholar and the
 fortitude of the certain."
                       ~Leo Buscaglia