Radius PAM Authentication

Todd Walker todd at thewalkers.us
Fri Sep 10 02:21:51 UTC 2004

All,

I am trying to get a Linux system to authenticate using the
pam_raduis_so module.  What I have found is that authentication will
only work if there is a entry for the user in passwd file.  My guess is
that this is due to the fact that users that are authenticating via
radius do not have a uid or gid set.  Is there a way to make this work
short of adding each user to the passwd file?

I suppose a larger question is if I am approaching this correctly.
Basically I would like to have Linux boxes authenticate source of some
type (radius perferred but could be TACACS+ or LDAP) with a minimal
amount of administration required locally.

Regards,
Todd