Radius PAM Authentication

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Sep 10 07:24:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Todd Walker wrote:

> I am trying to get a Linux system to authenticate using the
> pam_raduis_so module.  What I have found is that authentication will
> only work if there is a entry for the user in passwd file.  My guess is
> that this is due to the fact that users that are authenticating via
> radius do not have a uid or gid set.  Is there a way to make this work
> short of adding each user to the passwd file?

Check the PAM service file for the service in question and make sure that
you are not requiring anything for account - ie use pam_permit.so:

auth       required   /lib/security/pam_radius_auth.so
account  required       pam_permit.so

Obviously this is only of use where the service does not need to access
services on the local box that require valid account data.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £22.50 / month