Local address from PAM module?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Sep 28 18:12:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Jason DiCioccio wrote:

>  Thanks for the response.  This module is actually designed for boxes
> that have quite a few IPs bound to them.  I need to know what address
> the client is connecting to on the box.  For example, I could have a
> box with 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 bound to it.  If you connect to my
> server, I need to know if you're connecting to 10.1.1.1 or 10.1.1.2,
> this is part of our authentication.  Is there a way for me to find
> this out?

This seems to be a matter for the application rather than PAM - certainly
that's how I've always implemented such requirements.

For example one of my apache servers, which does virtual hosting, uses
PAM to authenticate multiple sites - each from a different PAM
configuration. All I have to do is to ensure that I have mod_auth_pam
altered a little so the configuration is user selectable and then list the
relevant configuration in the access control definitions within apache.

Similarly your application's calls to PAM should set the service to use
based upon the data it knows.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £22.50 / month