Local address from PAM module?

Jason DiCioccio geniusj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:59:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:41:07 +0100 (BST), Jason Clifford
<jason at ukpost.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Jason DiCioccio wrote:
>
> > Thanks Jason (wow, there's a lot of Jasons)..  This was unfortunately
> > the answer I was expecting.  The reason behind the PAM module is so
> > that we wouldn't have to modify the code for our various services each
> > time we wanted to upgrade them.  However, I suppose adding a couple of
> > lines to the code is still a lot better than having to add ~200 lines.
>
> I don't think it would require that much code if you really wanted to do
> it completely inside PAM.
>
> In fact, all you should need to do is to define an extra pam item (say,
> PAM_LHOST to complement PAM_RHOST) and then add the necessary logic in
> your module which should only be a few lines of code - the specifics being
> reserved to the configuration object.

Hmm..  Perhaps I'm dense, but I can't think of a way to figure out the
address to put into PAM_LHOST without actually doing it from within
each application.  Are you saying I can do all of this completely
within the module?  If so, how?

> You could send in a patch so that the main distribution might have the
> same thus allowing you to keep up to date with PAM releases without
> worrying about patching for this local issue.
>

> Jason Clifford
> --
> UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
> http://www.ukfsn.org/      ADSL Broadband from just £22.50 / month

Thanks,
-JD-