Which limits work currently (limits.conf) ?

`VL vl.homutov at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 07:20:44 UTC 2005

I tried to setup rss memory limit in /etc/security/limits.conf , and
had no success.

processes seemed to ignore this. I`v searched Google and found this thread:

In short, it is about that not all things in /etc/security/limits.conf
works for linux kernel.

Does anyone knows what limits works NOW on 2.4.29 kernel ? Does
situation changed in 2.6 ?

Second, question about cpu limit: value must be given in minutes... -
so, what does mean for example value of
2 minutes for user 'john', running bash ? shell will be killed after 2
minutes, being logged? or what ?