mod_auth_pam and apache

Saifa Saifa saifamsc at yahoo.co.in
Tue Apr 5 17:12:29 UTC 2005

Hi

I am trying to allow system users (/etc/shadow) to
access certain directories of apache using PAM.
mod_auth_pam is properly installed. I changed the
group of /etc/shadow  to shadow-users and correctly
entered "Group shadow-users" in httpd.conf. Apache is
starting properly. When I am accessing
http://localhost/restricted, browser is prompting to
enter  login and password, but not accepting any login
or passwd for any user.

httpd/error.log says
[error] [client 127.0.0.1] PAM: user 'saifamsc' - not
authenticated: Authentication failure.

It happens with every user

I changed group of /etc/shadow with the following cmd
chgrp shadow-users /etc/shadow

The httpd.conf part

<Directory /var/www/html/family>
AuthPAM_Enabled on
AllowOverride None
AuthName "Family Secrets"
AuthType "basic"
require valid-user
</Directory>

How to get the authentication work properly.

TIA