pam_ldap - trouble understanding the do_authentication function

vidya chandrasekaran sc_vidya at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 13:12:16 UTC 2005

  Hi,

  I have been reading the source of pam_ldap(pam_ldap-180)

  From what i understand of the authentication logic,

  1. The username being authenticated is searched in the ldap directory  to get the userdn (_get_user_info  ()), following which
  2. a simple bind is attempted. (_connect_as_user)

  What escapes me is this, why a _connect_anonymously() call follwing step 2

  Any pointer will be much appreciated.

  Thanks
  Vidya