limits.conf doesn't appear to have any effect

Dylan Martin dmartin at sccd.ctc.edu
Thu Dec 29 17:11:45 UTC 2005

You are correct in your guess that it's getting root's limits.

You could make root drop it's limits in the Apache launch script before it
launches Apache.

Just pop

ulimit -t 1

into /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd

and your web server will use one second of cpu time before it dies.

Of course, this might not be what you want it to do.  Even assuming that you
set the limit to a reasonably high number, the server will eventually burn that
many seconds on the CPU and then die, which probably isn't what you want.

-Dylan